Clever Brand Messages Don’t Attract Prospects
All of us want to be unique and illustrated it with our business message or tagline. We have lived with major corporations branding their products and services all our lives.
- Nike: “Just do it”
- Subway: “Eat fresh”
- Geico: “15 minutes or less can save you 15% or more on car insurance”
- Coors Light: ” The world’s most refreshing beer”
- Coca-Cola: “To inspire moments of optimism and uplift”
- BMW: “The ultimate driving machine”
- Harley Davidson: “We are Harley Davidson”
- Apple: “Think Different”
- Landrover: “Above and Beyond”, “The Go-Anywhere Vehicle”, “The Power to Take You Anywhere”
- Wegmans: “Consistent low prices”
- Marriott: “Quiet luxury. Crafted experiences. Intuitive service”
- Walmart: “Save money, live better”
Many of these brand messages you remember because the company has spent millions of dollars on advertising, including a couple of million for 30 seconds during the Superbowl. Take a step back and don’t look at the company’s name.
Now, which message captures your attention?
Which messages provide a clue as to what the company does or will do for you?
- “Just do it”
- “Eat fresh”
- “15 minutes or less can save you 15% or more on car insurance”
- ” The world’s most refreshing beer”
- “To inspire moments of optimism and uplift”
- “The ultimate driving machine”
- “We are Harley Davidson”
- “Think Different”
- “Consistent low prices”
- “Quiet luxury. Crafted experiences. Intuitive service”
- “Save money, live better”
You decide but I personally would have no idea what “to inspire moments of optimism and uplift” has to do with anything I’m searching for unless it was “how do I get more optimism and uplift”.
If I was looking for a drink I’m still not sure that slogan would warm to cockles of my heart. Nor would it entice me to click on the slogan or URL. Remember your message online isn’t much different than the message on a highway billboard you are passing at 70 + miles per hour.
You only have a few seconds and most people are slow readers!
What about “think different”. Would you know that is about computers?
“The ultimate driving machine”, now that conveys a message and you know what the ad or web page is going to be about.
“The world’s most refreshing beer”, got it, if I want a refreshing beer this is the place to go.
How Do Your Brand Your Local Small Business?
Search for home remodeling and look at the results. What result would you click on to learn more? My local results brought up these names:
- Nelson Construction and Renovations, Inc
- Avery Construction
- Design Consulting, Inc
- Quality Home Renovators
- Mueller Remodeling, Inc
- Pro-Home Remodeling
- Bath Masters
- Power Home Remodeling
These are just the names of the companies but note the names had keywords associated with home remodeling. Of the lot, those with “home remodeling” in the name would probably get most of my attention. Unless I was going to remodel a bathroom. Before we go to their web pages look at the description in the results under their name.
You will have to scroll past the feature block, advertised results, and consolidators like Home Advisor. I cherry-picked a couple to illustrate my point.
All three of these are pretty good examples of business descriptions that may encourage a prospect to click on them to learn more. The third one, “9 Truths Your Remodeling Contractor Won’t Tell You” is actually the most compelling message to me. It isn’t about the company. It is about what you can learn that a contractor may not tell you.
Somewhere in the article or advertisement they will lead you to a contractor or are making money from the advertisements. Regardless this is the type of message that will attract tire kickers, prospects looking for advice, or perhaps someone ready to start a project. So how do you come up with your message?
How to Create Your Message to Attract Prospects?
What problem do you solve for your prospects?
- “We Make Home Remodeling Easy”
- “Let Us Help You Remodel at a Cost You Can Afford”
- “Award Winning Home Remodelers”
- “Quality Home Remodelers”
Notice each one of these tells the searcher what they can expect and what you do. Each has a key attribute or problem they solve: “easy”, “affordable”, “award-winning” and “quality”. Which attribute would attract or problem solved that worries you?
How do you make it easy for a prospect to contact you?
- Do NOT make them fill out a form
- Do NOT make them email you
- Maybe have them call you
- Do let them text you
- Do let them chat with you online to answer questions
If you make them take multiple steps to contact you or have you call them back you have lost the opportunity. This is the age of instant gratification, especially online. Why as a prospect before I know much about your business would I want to fill out a form giving you my information. You know what I’m talking about.
- Type of renovation
- Value of the house
Maybe not IQ but the forms are often invasive and take up too much time.
Chat, text, or call are the only good options. Learn more about visibility online.